Monday, November 5, 2007

Find your Path, Loser

Yes, I watched "Pathfinder". And it gave me exactly what I was craving at the time. I was craving something that would take me away from reality and that would be exciting or "action-packed" as people often put things. It delivered. I'm pretty certain it wasn't the deepest story or characters ever written, but it was entertaining and that was good. It met a craving and that's good, too.

Sometimes we as an audience get overly analytic sometimes (myself included). Sometimes we just need a movie to met a basic human need: laughter, comfort or escape from reality. Some movies deliver comedy that will warm any down-drodden heart, and though we could reem their overall production value it doesn't lessen their value in society. "Pathfinder" (for me, anyway) met a basic need, to escape from reality. It sucked me in, took me for a ride and that was good enough for me. Honestly, I want to watch it again (with my analysis powers on), because I really didn't analyis this movie at all. I just watched. Which isn't bad, it's good.

I must admit, I was thoroughly surprised and joyed to find that Brother Justin was in it (or Mr. Krabs to some). I am speaking of Clancy Brown, a fine actor who constantly shows his versatility. It still amazes me that the same actor can play Mr. Krabs in "SpongeBob SqaurePants" and Brother Justin Crowe in HBO's amazing series "Carnivale". So anytime I stumble across this fine actor, it brings a smile to my face. And now, he's in fantasy-action flick so I'm further amazed by his talents.

Of course, Karl Urban is always fun to watch, as well. He does so much without opening his mouth; that stern face says so much. Although, I do recall that seeing him peaceful at the beginning of this movie seemed a bit awkward. And of course, he was absolutely fantastic in "The Bourne Supremacy".

Okay, so I'm not really talking much about the movie this time. I just had fun with it and I think that's about all this movie is good for. I'm remembering now, though, that a lot of the dialogue was pretty cheesy or predictable. I think the key thing is that this wasn't a well-written script, but the finished product was entertaining. Although, I do remember being a little thrown off by the action scenes at first because it was amazingly jumpy. The movie will show our hero in one place cutting someone's head off or something, then the next clip is him swinging from a tree or something, and then the next clip is him on a horse with a different weapon. But, I got into it later. It still doesn't seem like an extremely effective way to shoot action scenes, because your purposely filming a bunch of random stuff. At any rate...

Long story short, I recommend watching it but don't go in wanting to analyze it. Just watch it for what's worth: Entertainment. Don't forget that movies are still considered a part of the Entertainment Industry. Anyway... be entertained.

No comments: