Thursday, November 1, 2007

Vertigo

Okay, I couldn't take it or something. It's about time for me to digress from talking about random movies and really talk about one I love with a seething passion.

Here's the thing about "Vertigo":

"Vertigo" is utterly mesmerizing for a million different reasons. I'll focus on a few I can't help but notice.

The visuals and score. Herrmann's score complements Hitchcock's vision so much, it boggles my mind. I don't know if visuals and music have ever been so chic together, but I think this fine couple can shack up any time. Okay, that was a bit creepy, but seriously... the cinematography is so beautiful, the locations are so memorable and elegantly brought to the screen and the 90s restored version of the movie really helps us enjoy this masterpiece by the master of suspense.

Stewart really out does himself in the role of Scottie. He really captures everything the music, the locations, and the cinematography were trying to convey. Especially since there is a considerable amount of time where he is on screen and there is no dialogue, just visuals and music. Novak also does her part in these moments. They really aid in creating an eerie and surreal mood that takes you on a wild journey that will have you wondering what in the world is going on. And I love it.

And it's not just the acting and it's not just the music and the cinematography... it's the story as well. It's very well crafted. If you do any little bit of dabbling around on the Internet, you'll find people studying all the different aspects of "Vertigo". I could never do justice to try and remember or conjure up all the connections in "Vertigo" to Greek mythology and all the other ancient works people often associate with "Vertigo". It's really very deep and emotional. The word I like using the most to describe this favorite of mine is intoxicating. That's how I always feel about it. It sucks you in like an addiction and won't let go. And don't worry, no hangovers. Oh, my... lame.

So, basically, I think everyone should watch this movie because I love it so. Although, it probably won't be everybody's cup of tea. I strongly recommend not watching with a group of friends, because you probably won't be able to get into it that way. Either cuddle up with a honey or watch on your own. And alas, I leave you with a quote from the film to tease you:

Do you believe that someone out of the past - someone dead - can enter and take possession of a living being?

1 comment:

Mary Laird said...

I could not agree with you more on your review. I believe that "Vertigo" was and still is Alfred Hitchcock's true Masterpiece. Every artist no matter the field has one true masterpiece of their lifetime and for Hitchcock this is it hands down. In my opinion Jimmy Stewart in the leading role was absolutely brilliant. He had a way about him and you honestly can't tell if he is going insane, just obsessed or actually posessed. The cinematography is amazing and the whole movie really keeps you on the edge of your seat. However, I have to say the one thing I most agree with you about is, you should watch it with minimal people around. Just so you can get the full story and the full effect Hitchcock was trying to achieve.