Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I think it was one session too many

Even though this will show up as November 1st it is still Halloween to me (I have not been to bed yet). I thought I would ring out All Hallows Eve with one more horror film. "Session 9" is a movie I went into with high hopes, I mean how much better of a plot could you have than a crew of men go into an abandoned mental asylum to clean out asbestos. Boy was I ever wrong.

I suppose I should lay down the good before I rant about the bad. This movie was one of the first films to be shot with Sony HD, with this the creators of this film were able to use more natural light instead of tons of harsh studio lighting. This creates a beautiful film that seems more realistic. Also, there are very few mistakes in this movie, and they are hard to pick out. So from all of these aspects this movie is made very well, and really sets the bar for movies to come.

My problem with this movie comes down to two things, first the script itself and second the acting. The script is long, drawn out and dry. The movie does keep you in the dark about what is going on throughout most of the movie. Now this is a good thing in screenplays, in that, you are always wondering through the whole movie; What is going on? Now keeping the audience guessing is a great thing if and only if you resolve all the questions in the end. "Session 9" does not do this, the ending is just as confusing as the rest of the movie. I left this movie with so many questions, as to what or who was causing the strange occurrences.

The second problem I have is with the acting in this movie. David Caruso stars in this film and as with most of his roles he over acts, there is nothing worse than watching a movie and realizing that this man is acting, this is not real at all. And just for the record I realize the difference between real and imagination. I am just saying that when I watch a movie I want to believe for that short time that the actor I am watching is really the character in the movie. The other actors in this movie give off the same kind of vibe, that is all except for Peter Mullan. Peter plays Gordan, a man that throughout the movie you can not tell if he is going insane, or if the things that are happening to him are real. Of course we should know all of these answers by the end of the movie, but here we go again with the script. Oh well isn't this a vicious circle.

My thoughts are you should watch "Session 9" and judge for yourself, besides it is worth the watch to see the amazing effects in lighting. Hopefully you will get more out of this movie than I did, I am going to take an aspirin now for the headache it gave me.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I watched this movie more than once and i have to agree with you. Caruso is simply horrendous to watch. His pattern of speech is ridcilous, his mannerisms (so -pre-HoCaine) are laughable. I bought this movie because people recommended it. Not only got I a headache from watching it (this annoying voices from the tape) I was utterly disappointed of it.
Acting:**
Story: **
Locale:**
Mediocre at best - but not outstanding.
BTW could I use your comment about Caruso? Would be great. Thank you.

Nathan Weaver said...

Caruso... I had a feeling that name was going to come up sooner or later here. But, I figured it would be me doing the dirty deed.

Ah, you're okay David Caruso. We still love ya... in our own way.