Monday, October 29, 2007

I Just Love a Good Magic Act

As I browsed through my local Blockbuster I would always see a movie named "Smokin' Aces." I never did compel myself to rent it though. However, this all changed this past week when I happened to see a review on it on "Reelz" channel. I quickly came home and found it on one of my movie channels.

This was the first movie I have seen by Joe Carnahan and it was well worth the watch. Joe is a multi-talent in Hollywood he writes, produces and directs most of his films. I find that movies work better if the person writing the script directs the movie also, there is a beauty to that because there is never any doubt as to what the writer had intended.

"Smokin' Aces" is a film about an ex-vegas Magician (Buddy "Aces" Israel) that has worked his way up to a mob boss, now not only is he a mob boss but he is the boss of a faction of a family that he has spit in half. This definately does not make him a favorite of all the other made men, but when he turns state informent the fun really begins. The movie becomes a race to see who can get to Buddy first, the hitmen (there are many), the bondsmen, or the FBI. All of this adds up to one really shocking ending. The true magic of the film is that old slide of hand trick, while you are being told one story it totally distracts you from the real story.

This movie is visually stunning and not for the weak of heart. If you do not like graphic violence, this is not the movie for you. Also I must point out that there are really strong performances from two very unexpected sources. Jeremy Piven, who plays Buddy and Ryan Reynolds, who plays a very strong role as one of the FBI agents that are sent to protect Buddy.

I would recommend seeing this movie if you are an action fan. It is a magic act of truly great proportions.

1 comment:

Nathan Weaver said...

Really? I wasn't too amused with this flick. Ah, well.